363 Oakwood Avenue
East Aurora, NY 14052
June – October
Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays
Tours from 1 - 4pm
$10 per person
Ages 13-18: $5
12 and Younger: Free
Combination Ticket (also includes the Millard Fillmore Presidential Site): $15
Combination Tour Ticket: The Roycroft Campus & The Elbert Hubbard Roycroft Museum
Admission: $20 (value $25)
Basic 1-hour tour of The Roycroft Campus and a 1-hour tour of The Elbert Hubbard Roycroft Museum. Must be taken during each sites normally scheduled tours. Purchase tickets at the Power House on the Roycroft Campus
Special tours are available by contacting Don at 716-652-8525
Call 716-652-4735 for more information.
In the first decade of the 20th Century, Elbert Hubbard launched a career as a writer, philosopher, orator, publisher, and founder of the Roycroft--one of America's, most successful Arts and Crafts communities. George ScheideMantel came to the Roycroft looking for a job after reading an issue of Elbert Hubbard’s magazine, The Philistine. He started out as a bellhop at the Roycroft Inn and eventually became head of the Roycroft Leather Shop. George met Gladys in 1905 at the Roycroft, where her mother worked as a cook. They married in 1908, two years before they built their house on Oakwood Avenue.
In 1985, Gladys ScheideMantel donated her Craftsman bungalow (located two blocks from the Roycroft Campus and built by members of the Roycroft community) to the Aurora Historical Society. The museum contains one of the rarest collections of Roycroft artifacts: beautifully bound and illuminated books, furniture and copper work, as well as oil paintings by Alex Fournier and leather work by George ScheideMantel.
On the docent-led tour of the Elbert Hubbard Roycroft Museum, you’ll learn more about the eccentric and accomplished life of Elbert Hubbard, as well as the Roycroft Arts & Crafts Movement. The tour lasts about one hour.
The Aurora Historical Society is exhibiting unique items related to the Lusitania tragedy, including the signed pardon from President Woodrow Wilson that allowed Hubbard to make his fateful voyage aboard the Lusitania.
The Magna Mater sculpture resides in the rear yard of the Elbert Hubbard Museum. It ounce stood at the Roycroft Inn but was removed when the parking lot was created. It was saved by a local resident who placed it in her yard and eventually donated it to the museum. The artist was Katharine Maltwood. For more information use the links below.